Scotter War Memorial
On a November Sunday in 1918 the flag on St. Peter's Church was flown at half mast. That afternoon a muffled peal was rung in honour of the village lads whose lives had been lost serving their King and Country.
Like many other communities residents collected money to commission a permanent monument.
Scotter War Memorial was designed by Kenneth Eyre, built of Portland stone by Herbert Dorrington of Gainsborough and is situated on The Green in the centre of the village.
It was unveiled by Major Molson M.P. on 15th May 1921. Reverend John Blew took the service and Scotter Brass Band, under the baton of Alfred Harsley, accompanied the singing.
The northern face lists thirteen villagers who sacrificed their lives in the Great War while the other three sides show the names of eighty men who served in and survived the conflict. After the Second World War eight more names were added to the northern face to commemorate the Scotter men who had died for their King and Country.
These pages are dedicated to their memory, men of Susworth and others with a connection to the parish of Scotter who have been largely forgotten.
In the autumn of 1983 the monument was refurbished by R. Wallace and Son of West Butterwick. Unfortunately mistakes were made when trying to read the names for re-engraving. The three errors on the North face were corrected in 2007 but there are still more on the other sides.
The Parish Council aims to conserve this important monument to a very highest standard.
If you can add to our knowledge on ANY of the people on these War Memorial pages then please email Kyela Mathieson - email@example.com